Grade level: 4th – 5th grades
Skills: Subtraction (4 digits)
Related environmental issues: Energy
The timetable below shows history of some of the major energy sources we depend on in the United States. (click the timetable to enlarge it if necessary)
- How many years ago was nuclear power first used to generate electricity in our country?
- How many years difference is there between the year when oil was first discovered in this country and the year when natural gas was first used for street lamps?
- How many years did it take to use wind energy for generating electricity after the first wind mill was constructed for pumping water?
- How many years did it take to use coal for generating electricity after coal was first discovered in this country?
Sources: EIA energy KIDS
- 2017 – 1951 = 66 (years)
- 1859 – 1816 = 43 (years)
- 1974 – 1854 = 120 (years)
- 1882 – 1673 = 209 (years)