Grade level: 4th – 6th grades
Skills: Multiplication (decimals)
sRelated environmental issues: Renewable Energy
Former President Jimmy Carter is a big supporter of renewable energy and helped a solar farm project which constructed as many as 3,850 of solar panels in his hometown in Georgia. He also installed 320 solar panels on the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library.
- Each solar panel can power 1.3 American homes. How many homes can the solar farm power?
- How many homes can the solar panels on the Library power?
- How many homes has Former President Jimmy Carter helped powering with clean energy?
Note 1) The Plains solar farm generates 55 million kilowatt hours per year.
Note 2) The average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,766 kilowatthours (kWh). (U.S. Energy Information Administration)
Note 3) The numbers were slightly modified. The actual numbers of solar panels are 3,852 and 324.
- 5,005 homes (3,850 x 1.3 = 5,005)
- 416 (320 x 1.3 = 416)
- 5,421 homes (5,005 + 416 = 5,421)