Grade level: 5th – 6th grades
Skills: Decimals (Subtraction) (number comparison)
Related environmental issues: Energy
The table below shows the average price of gasoline per gallon in five big cities the United States in March 2018.
- Among the five cities, which city had the highest gasoline price?
- Among the five cities, which city had the lowest gasoline price?
- What is the difference between the highest price and the lowest price?
- Which city had the price 6 cents lower than the price in Chicago?
- Which is bigger, the difference between New York City and Los Angeles or the difference between Houston and San Fransisco?
Sources: U.S. Energy Information Administration (2018) Retail Gasoline and Diesel Prices
- Los Angeles
- $1.16 (3.56 – 2.4 = 1.16)
- New York City
- Houston and San Fransisco (Los Angeles – New York: 3.56 – 2.73 = 0.83) (San Fransisco – Houston: 3.53 – 2.4 = 1.13)