Grade level: 5 – 6th grades
Skills: Circle graphs
Related environmental issues: Water
The circle graph below shows how the average American family uses water at home.
1. For what purposes does the average American family use the most water?
2. For what purposes does the average American family use more water, shower or washing machine?
3. The average American family uses 300 gallons of water a day. How many gallons of water does the average American family use for shower?
4. The average American family loses a lot of water to leaky toilets, appliances and faucets. What percentage of water is wasted through leaks?
5. How many gallons of water does the average American family lose through leaks a day?
To find and fix water leaks, visit here (Water Footprint, 2018. Indoor Water Leaks)
- 300 x 0.2 = 60 (gallons)
- 100 – 24 – 20 – 19 – 17 – 8 = 12 (%)
- 300 x 0.12 = 36 (gallons)