Grade level: 3rd – 5th grades
Skills: Place value
Related environmental issues: Energy
The table below shows the amount of coal mined in the 8 largest coal producing states in 2018.
1. Which state has 9 ten thousand?
2. What is the place value of 3 in the number of Wyoming?
3. How many states have 9 thousands?
4. What is the value of 3 in the number of Indiana?
5. Which state has 61 tens?
6. Which state has 40 hundreds?
7. Which states have the same number in tens place and hundreds place?
Source: U.S. Energy information Administration (U.S. EIA) (2020) Coal Production Ranking, 2018.
Factful Environmental Math Problems (2020)
Just published and now available from Amazon (paperback)
About this book
The objective of Factful Environmental Math Problems is to cultivate our young people’s skills to analyze and evaluate fact-based data for understanding our world, while improving their math skills and critical thinking skills.
With the rise of the Internet and new technology, building skills to analyze and evaluate fact-based data becomes increasingly important for our young people to prepare for this rapidly changing world. These skills minimize their chances of being brainwashed by false information and making uninformed decisions and ultimately help develop their critical thinking skills. (Read more)
Published: March 26, 2020