Grade level: 3rd – 5th grades
Skills: Circle graph
Related environmental issues: Energy
The circle graph below shows the breakdown of energy sources in our country in 2019.
1. Which energy source did our country use most?
2. List all sources that have aportion larger than 1/5.
3. Which energy source has a portion smaller than 1/10?
4. Petroleum, natural gas, and coal are called fossil fuels and formed from the remains of plants of animals. What fraction did fossil fuels make up? Write fraction in simplest form.
5. Which energy source made up about 1/3 of the whole?
Source: U.S. Energy information Administration (U.S. EIA) (2020) U.S. energy facts explained
Factful Environmental Math Problems (2020)
Just published and now available from Amazon (paperback)
About this book
The objective of Factful Environmental Math Problems is to cultivate our young people’s skills to analyze and evaluate fact-based data for understanding our world, while improving their math skills and critical thinking skills.
With the rise of the Internet and new technology, building skills to analyze and evaluate fact-based data becomes increasingly important for our young people to prepare for this rapidly changing world. These skills minimize their chances of being brainwashed by false information and making uninformed decisions and ultimately help develop their critical thinking skills. (Read more)
Published: March 26, 2020