Grade level: 4th – 5th grades
Skills: Addition (3-digit numbers)
Related environmental issues: Water
The table below shows some types of food you eat and the amount of water required to produce the food.
- In the morning, you had 2 eggs, one slice of bread, and a cup of milk. How much water did it take to produce your breakfast?
- At noon, you had one hamburger, one bottled soft drink, and one small bag of potato chips. How much water did it take to produce your lunch?
- Tonight, you had one serving of beefsteak, one serving of pasta, and a banana. How much water did it take to produce your supper?
- How much water did it take to produce the food you ate today?
- 52 + 52 + 11 + 63 = 178 (gallons)
- 634 + 78 + 62 = 774 (gallons)
- 460 + 49 + 42 = 551 (gallons)
- 178 + 774 + 551 = 1,503 (gallons)