Grade level: 3rd – 4th grades
Skills: Bar graphs
Related environmental issues: Climate change
The United States along with most of the countries in the world depends on fossil fuels to meet energy needs. Power plants burn fossil fuels to produce electricty. Burning fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and it became the main cause of the climate change. The bar graph below shows the 10 states that release the largest amount of carbon dioxide through burning fossil fuels in the United States.
- Which state releases the largest amount of carbon dioxide in the United States?
- Which state releases as much carbon dioxide as Ohio?
- How many states releases more carbon dioxide than New York?
- How many states releases more than 200 but less than 300 million metric tons carbon dioxide?
- Texas releases ____times more carbon dioxide than Florida. a) 2 b) 3 c) 4
3. 8 states
4. 4 states