Grade level: 4 – 5th
Related environmental issues: Excessive Water Extraction
Area level: Regional (Southwest)
Excessive pumping of groundwater for drinking and agricultural purposes often results in the land to drop. The table shows how many feet the land-surface elevation became lowered as a result of pumping water in nine area.
- Which area has the land dropped the most?
- How many more or less feet did the land in West of Phoenix (Arizona) dropped than the land in Houston (Texas)?
- What is the range of the set of the numbers in the table?
- What is the mode of the set of the numbers in the table?
Source: US Geological Survey
Photo: US Geological Survey
- Southwest of Mendota, California
- 9 feet more (18-9=9)
- 28 (29-1=28)