Grade level: 5th grade
Skills: Subtract decimals, Stacked bar graphs & Percentages
Related environmental issues: Energy
Area level: Global
Denmark has been a world leader in wind power and has actively generated electricity from wind. Wind power now makes up a large part of Denmark’s electricity. The graph below shows how many percentages of all the electricity in Denmark were generated from wind in 2005, 2010, and 2015. For example, in 2015, 18.7% of the electricity in Denmark was generated from wind and the rest, 81.3% of the electricity, was generated from the other energy sources such as fossil fuels and renewable energy such as solar power.
- In 2010, how many percentages of the electricity was generated from the other energy sources?
- In 2015, how many percentages of the electricity was generated from wind power?
- How many more percentages of the electricity was generated from wind power in 2015 than 2005?
Source: EurActiv.com, 2016. Denmark breaks its own world record in wind energy
Note) Wind power generated 4.4% of all the electricity generated in the United States in 2014 (American Wind Energy Association, 2015)
- 78% (100 – 22 =78)
- 42.1 % (100 – 57.9 = 42.1)
- 23.4% (42.1 – 18.7 = 23.4)