Grade level: 4th – 5th grades
Skills: Line graphs
Related environmental issues: Energy
Area level: National, Global
The line graph below shows how much electricity generation from wind has grown in the United States over the last 10 years.
- About how many times did wind power generation increase over the last 10 years? a) 2 times b) 5 times c) 7 times d) 10 times
- Between what years, did wind power generation increase the least?
- In which period did wind power generation increase more, the first 5 years (2006-2011) or the second 5 years (2011-2015)?
- India generated 22 gigawatts of wind power in 2014. How many times more wind power did the United States generate in the same year? a) 2 times b) 3 times c) 4 times d) 10 times
- Germany generated 39 gigawatts of wind power in 2014. Between what years, did the United States generate 39 gigawatts of wind power?
Note) Wind power generation grew the least between 2012 and 2013 because financial supports (called Production Tax Credit) from the federal government were going to discontinue.
- c (70 / 10 = 7)
- Between 2012 and 2013
- First 5 years (The first 5 years grew by about 36 gigawatts and the second 5 years grew by about 23 gigawatts)
- b (66 / 22 =3)
- Between 2009 and 2010