Grade level: 5th grades
Skills: Geometry (Area & Perimeter)
Related environmental issues: Energy
Area level: National, State, Regional, Household
Alayna likes renewable energy and plans to ask her parents to buy solar panels for their house. She found out that her family needs a total of 4,000 watts of solar panels to generate enough electricity for their house.
- She found a 250 watt-solar panel as shown in the picture at a home improvement store. Find the perimeter of the solar panel.
- Find the area of the solar panel.
- To have a total of 4,000 watts of solar panels for the Alayna’s house, how many solar panels does she need?
- To have a total of 4,000 watts of solar panels on the roof, how many square feet of their roof is needed?
- 16 feet ( 5 + 3 + 5 + 3 = 16 )
- 15 square feet ( 5 x 3 = 15 )
- 16 solar panels (4,000 / 250 = 16)
- 15 x 16 = 240 square feet