Grade level: 5th grades
Skills: Multiplication & Division
Related environmental issues: Water
Area level: Global
All foods you eat every day need water to be produced. Among them, beef production requires a lot of water. It takes 460 gallons of water to produce a 4 oz. beef steak.
- Producing one apple needs 33 gallons of water. How many apple can you produce with 460 gallons of water.
- Producing an egg needs 52 gallons of water. Which needs more water, producing 8 eggs or a beef streak?
- Producing a grilled chicken (4 oz.) needs 95 gallons of water. You ate 1/3 of a beef steak for lunch. Which needs more water, producing a grilled chicken or 1/3 of a beef steak?
Source: Water Footprint Network
Note) A beef steak here is 4 ounces.
- 33 apples (460 / 33 = 13 R 31)
- One serving of beef ( Producing 8 eggs needs 416 gallons of water)
- 1/3 of one serving of beef (1/3 of one serving of beef needs about 153 gallons of water : 460 / 3 = 153 R 1)