Grade level: 4 – 5th grades
Skills: Mean, Median, Mode, Range
Related environmental issues: Climate Change
Area level: Global
The table compares how much of carbon dioxide was produced by a person in seven countries in 2012.
- What is the range of the numbers?
- What is the median of the numbers?
- What is the mode of the numbers?
- What is the mean of the numbers?
Source: IEA, 2014 Key World Energy Statistics
Note) Those numbers were sought by rounding the original numbers to the nearest one. The original number of India is 1.58 and should be rounded to 2. Instead, this problem uses “1” to make it more appropriate to the grade levels.
Note 2) The mean of the per capita CO2 emissions of all countries in the world is 5 (4.51) tons.
- 15 (16-1=15)
- 4 (1, 3, 3, 4, 6, 9, 16)
- 6 ( (6+9+3+4+16+3+1)/7=6 )