Grade level: 3rd – 5th grades
Related environmental issues: Reduce, reuse & recycle
Area level: National
On overage, 55% of aluminum beverage cans sold in the United States were recycled in 2013.
- Suppose your local supermarket recycled as many aluminum cans as US average. If the supermarket sold 100 aluminum cans, how many aluminum cans were recycled and how many aluminum cans were not recycled and end up in landfills?
- In the same year, 99% of aluminum cans sold in California were recycled. If one supermarket in California sold 100 aluminum cans, how many aluminum cans were recycled and how many aluminum cans were not recycled and end up in landfills?
- How many more aluminum cans end up in landfills in the supermarket in the #1 than the supermarket in California?
Source: US EPA and California EPA
- 55 cans recycled and 45 cans not recycled (100-55=45)
- 99 cans recycled and 1 can not recycled (100-99=1)
- 44 bottles (99-55=44)