Grade level: 4 – 5th grades
Skills: Multiplication & Division
Related environmental issues: Reduce, reuse & recycle
Area level: National
To make an aluminum can, using recycled aluminum uses much less energy than using virgin materials. When you recycle a single aluminum can, you can save energy that can power a TV for three hours.
Jack recycled 58 aluminum cans. How much energy in TV hours did Jack save ?
- To save energy enough to power a TV for 108 hours, how many aluminum cans should you recycle?
- Ashley watched TV 2 hours a week. How many aluminum cans does he need to recycle to save enough power for him to watch TV for a month (4 weeks)?
- Andrew and his family recycled 91 cans in a month. Does it enough to save power them to watch TV 3 hours a day for 2 months?
Source: Recycle Across America
- 164 hours (58×3=174)
- 36 cans (108/3=36)
- 19 cans (2X7X4=56hours 56/3=18R2)
- Yes (3X7X4x2=168 hours 168/3=56cans 56 cans < 91 cans)